Explainer videos, combining storytelling with visual appeal, have become a go-to solution for capturing an audience’s attention quickly and effectively.
This blog explores explainer videos’ unique benefits and impact on corporate branding, internal communication, and external marketing campaigns.
What are Explainer Videos?
Explainer videos are concise, engaging online videos that usually describe a company’s product, service, or idea. They’re typically around 60-90 seconds long – short enough to hold attention but long enough to convey a clear message.
Most explainer videos follow a problem-solution format.
They introduce a problem, present a solution (usually the company’s product or service), and call the viewer to take some action.
The Power of Storytelling
Since ancient times, humans have been hardwired to remember and relate to stories. A well-told narrative can evoke emotions, make complex ideas understandable, and create a lasting impact.
By weaving a story into marketing materials, companies can position their brand in the minds of consumers more effectively.
It creates a personal connection, making the brand more relatable and memorable.
The Science of Visual Communication
People retain information better when it’s presented visually.
- Visuals are processed 60,000 times faster than text.
- Visual content is more than 40 times more likely to get shared on social media than other types pf content
- 83% of human learning occurs visually
- Long-term retention of information increases significantly when presented both visually and verbally.
The statistics are why more and more businesses are choosing to leverage video in their internal and external initiatives.
Let’s look at styles to consider when working with an explainer video company.
Popular Explainer Video Production Styles
When choosing a partner, you must remember that different stories require different storytelling tools. Your chosen video style can significantly influence your message’s clarity and appeal. And it’s important to choose a style that best aligns with your target audience and goals.
Here’s a breakdown of the most popular styles and why you might consider each.
2D animation is flat, with everything happening in a two-dimensional space. Think of classic cartoons or the drawings in a comic strip.
It involves creating or editing two-dimensional images using software. Each frame is created by changing the previous frame, creating the illusion of movement when played in sequence.
Why use it for Explainer Videos:
- Visually Engaging: The simplicity and nostalgia associated with 2D animation captivate audiences of all ages.
- Versatility: It’s flexible, allowing for a variety of art styles, from simplistic and iconographic to detailed and lifelike.
- Narrative Strength: The clear and direct nature of 2D makes it great for storytelling, allowing brands to create compelling narratives around their products or services.
As the name suggests, white board animation mimics someone drawing on a whiteboard. The animation showcases the creation process of the drawings, often accompanied by narration.
Traditionally, it was done by artists who drew on a whiteboard while being recorded. Now, it’s often digitally produced to give that hand-drawn feel.
Why use it for Explainer Videos:
- Engagement: The continuous process of drawing keeps viewers engaged as they wait to see the final image.
- Educational Tone: The format feels instructional. It’s great for explaining complex processes or ideas in a step-by-step manner.
- Simplicity: Without flashy animations, the focus remains on the content, ensuring the message is clear and direct.
Think of it as digital graphic design in motion. It’s more dynamic than traditional animation with many elements moving simultaneously.
Motion graphics are created using digital footage and/or animation technology to create the illusion of motion or rotation, often combined with audio for multimedia projects.
Why use it for Explainer Videos:
- Modern Appeal: They bring a contemporary and professional touch to the content, making it attractive to a modern audience.
- Complex Ideas: Perfect for presenting data, statistics, and other intricate information in an easily digestible manner.
- Flexibility: It can be blended with other animation styles or live-action footage for a comprehensive visual experience.
3D Video Animation
3D video animation is a technique that uses three-dimensional computer-generated imagery (CGI) to create dynamic and visually engaging animated videos. It adds depth, realism, and immersive storytelling to various multimedia projects.
Why Use it for Explainer Videos?
- Realism and Immersion: 3D animation allows for the creation of lifelike characters, environments, and objects, making animated videos more immersive and visually captivating.
- Complex Visuals: It excels in depicting intricate scenes, intricate movements, and detailed textures, making it suitable for conveying complex concepts or narratives.
- Versatility: 3D animation is versatile and can be applied across various industries, from entertainment and gaming to education and product visualization, offering a wide range of creative possibilities.
Live Action & Animation Hybrid
Live-action video production allows for the dynamic capture of real-world scenes and events using cameras, actors, and physical settings.
When enriched by the integration of animated elements, this hybrid approach combines the authenticity of live action with the creative possibilities of animation.
Why Use it for Explainer Videos?
- Authenticity: Live-action videos can convey a sense of authenticity and emotional connection by featuring real people, places, and events.
- Tangible Reality: It effectively showcases physical products, services, and real-life scenarios, making it ideal for marketing and educational purposes.
Challenges and Downsides
- Cost: Live-action production is expensive due to the need for equipment, sets, actors, crew, and location fees. High-quality production often comes with a significant price tag.
- Production Complexity: Managing live-action shoots involves coordinating multiple elements, including actors, lighting, sound, and logistics, making it more complex than animation.
- Limitation in Creative Freedom: Live action may have limitations when it comes to representing abstract or fantastical concepts, which can be easier to achieve through animation or CGI.
- Weather and Location Dependency: Outdoor shoots are subject to weather conditions, and securing ideal locations can be challenging, leading to potential delays and additional costs.
- Post-Production Challenges: Editing and post-production can be time-consuming and may require extensive work to achieve the desired final result, potentially adding to the overall cost and timeline.
The Impact of Video Content on Brand Image and Reach
Videos are a big deal for brands today. They’re not just fun to watch; they can help brands stand out and reach more people.
Studies suggest that many internet users prefer watching a video about a product rather than reading about it. The dynamic nature of video often conveys information more efficiently and engagingly than text.
Boosts Engagement & Reach
Video content has been found to have a higher retention rate compared to text. The combination of visuals and audio helps users retain information for longer periods.
Search engines value engaging content. Websites with quality video content often see improved search rankings, driving more organic traffic.
Shapes Brand Image
A well-produced video signals to viewers that the brand invests in its image and values quality. This can foster trust among potential customers.
Videos allow brands to maintain visual and tonal consistency, reinforcing their identity.
Industries That Can Benefit From Explainer Video Services
Videos aren’t just for movie stars or big advertisers anymore. From insurance providers to educational institutions, many industries have found that videos can help them in unique ways.
Videos can provide a 360-degree view, demonstrate how a product works, or show its use in real-world scenarios. This kind of demonstration often convinces potential buyers more effectively than static images.
Many e-commerce platforms report higher conversion rates on product pages supported by video content.
Whether it’s a new piece of software, hardware, or a groundbreaking tech solution, videos can break down intricate concepts into digestible bits.
Complex diagnosis, insurance plan information, and patient orientation – these topics and many more can be better explained and consumed via explainer videos.
From Alumni updates and program overviews to event promotion and safety and emergency procedures, explainer videos offer educational institutions an engaging and scalable way to deliver timely information.
Whether it’s about communicating clearly, teaching effectively, or showcasing a product, these are just a handful of different industries that can use explainer videos to their advantage.
The Typical Animated Production Process
Creating an explainer video is a creative journey that requires a structured approach. Here’s a breakdown of the typical animated video production process.
This isn’t how everyone does it, but it’s how we do it, and it works exceptionally well.
Kick Off Call
A collaborative kick-off call helps to understand unique goals, messaging, target audience, and the platforms where your video will shine
This conversation should explore creative aspects, such as color palettes, branding nuances, and even your voice-over preferences. We believe in getting it right from the very beginning.
Scripting & Voice-Over
Ater kick-off, we swing into action with our skilled team of writers. They’ll take the essence of our discussion, along with any additional materials and references you provide, and craft a script that resonates with your chosen voice and tone.
Once the script is honed to perfection, we’ll identify the ideal voice-over talent to bring your narrative to life. Your preferences guide our choices.
Here, we meticulously break down your video, panel by panel, sequence by sequence. This is where ideas begin to take visual shape.
Our talented in-house illustrators will bring the storyboard to life depending on the chosen video style. They’ll craft polished final illustrations, graphics, and assets, all designed to elevate your video.
Every element comes together in the final edit. We sequence the visuals, synchronize the voice-over, add music, incorporate sound effects and render out the final animated video.
Our process ensures that your animated explainer video delivers a captivating experience that exceeds your communication goals.
5 Considerations For Vetting Explainer Video Production Companies
Selecting the right animated explainer video company is crucial to expanding your message while reflecting your brand image.
Here’s a straightforward guide on what to consider when making your choice.
Assess Their Portfolio
- Quality Over Quantity: While a vast portfolio can be impressive, it’s essential to focus on the quality of work presented. Look for videos that resonate with you or are similar to what you envision for your brand.
- Diversity: A diverse portfolio indicates the provider’s flexibility and adaptability to cater to various industries and styles.
Listen to Others
- Testimonials: A reputable service provider will often showcase client testimonials. These firsthand accounts can provide insights into the provider’s professionalism, quality of work, and client satisfaction.
- Online Reviews: Platforms like Google My Business, or industry-specific review sites can offer unfiltered feedback from past clients. Look for recurring themes, both positive and negative.
- Track Record: A company that’s been in the business for several years likely has a proven process, a skilled team, and a history of navigating challenges.
- Industry Specifics: If your industry has unique nuances, it’s beneficial to choose a provider experienced in creating videos for similar sectors.
- Initial Interactions: Pay attention to your initial interactions. Are they attentive? Do they ask questions to understand your needs?
- Collaborative Spirit: They should be open to feedback, revisions, and ensure the final product aligns with your vision. Avoid providers who seem unwilling to adapt or are too rigid in their approach.
- Value for Money: While opting for the cheapest provider is tempting, remember that quality often comes at a price. Instead of just looking at the cost, assess the value they bring.
- Transparency: A reputable provider will provide a clear breakdown of costs, ensuring there are no hidden fees or surprises later on.
- ROI Focus: Remember, a well-produced explainer video can offer significant returns on investment by boosting brand visibility, engagement, and conversions.
Work With a Leading Explainer Video Company
Interested in learning more about creating educational and memorable video content for your user base?
Contact our team today to discuss your project goals and learn how The Sketch Effect can help you create explainer videos that resonate with your audience.